Silva tells Lesnar he's sorry

Antoinio Silva has apologized to Brock Lesnar, seen here, for suggesting he pulled out of his fight...

Antoinio Silva has apologized to Brock Lesnar, seen here, for suggesting he pulled out of his fight with Junior Dos Santos because it was a bad style matchup. Lesnar really is sick. (Getty Images)

NEIL SPRINGER, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 2:01 AM ET

Antonio Silva has apologized for questioning the seriousness of Brock Lesnar’s recent bout with the intestinal disorder, diverticulitis.

In an interview with Sherdog earlier this month, Silva speculated Lesnar backed out of his UFC 131 fight with Junior Dos Santos because it was a bad style matchup.

“I don’t want to judge anyone and I really wish it’s not a big health problem for (Lesnar), but I have some doubts,” Silva said. “That big guy doesn’t like being punched. In his last fights, he was put in the fetal position by Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez, which is humiliating for a fighter. I think he pulled out of the fight against ‘Cigano,’ who is a real heavy puncher and a real tough opponent for someone who doesn’t like being punched.”

Silva retracted his statements in an interview with MMA Junkie.

“I need to apologize publicly because it turns out he really is sick and no one should joke with that,” Silva said. “We all have family, kids and fans, who suffer when we become sick. I was also sick, had to stay out for a year, and I in no way wish that for anyone else.”

GSP won't fight Diaz

According to UFC president Dana White, Georges St. Pierre and Nick Diaz will not face each other at UFC 140 in December, nor will they act as coaches on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter.

“That fight is not a done deal,” White said in an interview with HeavyMMA. “I guarantee you that those two will not be coaches. Not even close. All the stuff that’s out there about that meeting that we had (in the UFC offices) is b-------.”

When news broke the UFC would be returning to Montreal at the end of the year, speculation started that the megafight was in the works. Soon after, MMA Weekly reported the bout was close to being finalized.

When asked if Diaz would challenge St. Pierre in December, White simply said, “No.”

Q&A with Bonnar

UFC Fight Club members can take part in a Q&A with light-heavyweight Stephan Bonnar prior to the UFC 131 weigh-ins.

Bonnar will take the stage at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver a couple hours before weigh-ins on Friday, June 10. Fans can stick around for the weigh-ins; the first fighter hits the scale at 4 p.m.

Bonnar has won his last two outings. He earned a TKO victory over Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 116 last July, then snagged a unanimous decision against Igor Pokrajac at The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale in December.

He’s set to face Karlos Vemola at UFC on Versus 5 in Milwaukee later this summer. The card is expected to be headlined by a welterweight scrap between Dan Hardy and Chris Lytle.

Mendes-Also bout on hold

Chad Mendes will have to wait a bit longer to get a crack at UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo.

The two were set to fight at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, Aug. 6, but Aldo was forced to pull out in order to rehab some lingering injuries.

Though Aldo expects to return in September, undefeated Mendes has opted to remain on the card and will now take on Rani Yahya, who is hot off a unanimous decision victory over former WEC featherweight titleholder Mike Thomas Brown at UFC Fight for the Troops 2.

Mendes won a unanimous decision against Michihiro Omigawa at UFC 126, Feb. 5, in his last outing.

Thumbs don't have it

Jon Jones expects to return to action this fall.

The newly crowned UFC light-heavyweight champion was set to collide with former training partner Rashad Evans at UFC 133. However, a hand injury forced him out of the fight. Phil Davis has stepped in as a replacement.

During an appearance on WSKO sports radio in Syracuse, N.Y., Jones said he now expects to defend his title against either Quinton Jackson or Lyoto Machida.

“I had to postpone my first title defence against Rashad Evans due to some torn tissues in my thumb,” Jones said. “My last doctor’s appointment, they told me I should be able to get back to full-out training within the next month. I’m excited about that. I’m expected to compete against Lyoto Machida or Rampage Jackson in maybe October, mid-October.”


Videos

Photos