May 5, 2011
MMA Notebook: Mayhem banned
By NEIL SPRINGER, QMI Agency
TORONTO - Moving Jason (Mayhem) Miller from Strikeforce to the UFC had more to do with politics than it did fighting.
With no Strikeforce bout in sight for a year, Miller patiently waited for word of his next opponent. Instead of receiving an offer, his contract expired and he signed with the UFC.
It was only then that he found out he had been banned from appearing on both Showtime and CBS due to the now infamous Nashville brawl on April 17, 2010 with Jake Shields, Gilbert (El Nino) Melendez and the Diaz brothers, Nick and Nate. The melee occurred following Shields win over Dan (Hendo) Henderson during a live broadcast on CBS.
However, rather than tell him of the situation, Strikeforce brass simply kept the middleweight in the dark.
“I asked, and guess what? Nobody would tell me,” Miller said in an interview with MMA Fighting. “This is a political environment. Nobody’s going to tell you. They’re just going to be cowards about it. That’s the way of the world. Nobody’s going to tell the crazy ultimate fighter guy to his face, ‘Hey, screw you.’ They’re not going to do that.”
Miller is set to face Aaron (A-Train) Simpson at UFC 132 in July.
UFC Hall of Famer and former welterweight champion Matt Hughes is being sought for questioning by police following an altercation at a bar in Taylor Springs, Ill.
TMZ reported the 37-year-old MMA fighter was named in a police report following an incident at the Trails End Bar and Grill. Though details are scarce, witnesses told the gossip site that Hughes became involved in an altercation with another male patron.
An unnamed female bystander is alleging Hughes pushed the other man into her, breaking her nose.
Hughes is tentatively scheduled to face Diego (The Dream) Sanchez this fall.
All 24 fighters who competed at UFC 129 have received medical suspensions.
The Ontario Athletic Commission handed each athlete at least a 14-day suspension for precautionary reasons. This means no contact during this time, but it’s hard to say how many will actually adhere to the ruling in their respective training camps.
Here’s a list of the competitors who received more than 14 days:
IT’S A DATE
The rumoured Strikeforce dream fight between Fedor (The Last Emperor) Emelianenko and Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan (Hendo) Henderson has a date.
MMA journalist Jonathan Snowden broke the news through his Twitter account.
“Sources close to both fighters tell me the Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson fight has been finalized for July 30th in Chicago on Showtime.”
ESPN writer Josh Gross then confirmed the bout will see Henderson go up in weight to face Emelianenko.
“My understanding is there’s no catch-weight,” Gross said on Twitter. “Just a heavyweight fight.”
Though this is a big deal for MMA fans, who get to witness two legends square off, I will be forced to miss it. One of my best friends, Jeff, is marrying his fiancé Sheeza that evening.
Thanks, you two. Don’t be surprised if you see me checking my BlackBerry while you’re tying the knot.