Crack open the bubbly -- mixed martial arts has officially made it to Ontario.
The first event to be sanctioned by the OAC takes place this Saturday at Casino Rama.
MMA: The Reckoning features former UFC welterweight Josh (The People's Warrior) Burkman taking on Lethbridge, Alta., native Jordan (Young Guns) Mein. Mein is currently riding a three-fight win streak, which includes a TKO victory over UFC and Strikeforce veteran Joe (Diesel) Riggs in January. Also, London, Ont., lightweight and former WEC fighter Chris (The Polish Hammer) Horodecki squares off with David Castillo.
This marks Horodecki's first fight since his submission loss to Donald (Cowboy) Cerrone at WEC 53 in December. Following the defeat, Horodecki was cut from the organization, just barely missing the merger between the UFC and WEC rosters.
(Big) John McCarthy will act as head referee at the event.
CRUZ EYES SHOT AT FABER
Dominick (The Dominator) Cruz will defend the UFC bantamweight championship against Urijah (The California Kid) Faber in the main event of UFC 132 on July 2 in Las Vegas.
The fight announcement seems to quell any rumours the two could serve as coaches on the 14th season of The Ultimate Fighter.
Following his unanimous-decision victory over Eddie Wineland at UFC 128 earlier this month, Faber said he is gunning for Cruz's title.
It's no secret these two hate each other, but would you believe their mutual beef started over something as ridiculous as the event poster promoting their first fight at WEC 26 four years ago?
In an interview with MMA Junkie, Cruz admitted to being annoyed over his omission from the poster.
His response was to sign his autograph directly on top of Faber's photo.
Faber got the last laugh in that exchange, however, submitting Cruz with a guillotine choke in less than two minutes.
SONNEN FIGHTIN' THE LAW
Chael Sonnen's fighting career has hit yet another roadblock.
The former middleweight title challenger's sentencing date for money-laundering charges has been pushed back to April 8.
A realtor in Portland, Ore., Sonnen pleaded guilty in January to charges he helped secure a $69,000 loan for plumbing repairs that he knew would never be carried out. He has been suspended by the UFC since.
It is expected Sonnen will receive two years probation, a $10,000 fine and be required to forfeit his real-estate licence.
He is currently helping Jake Shields prepare for his UFC 129 fight with Georges (Rush) St. Pierre in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Michael (The Count) Bisping is gunning to welcome back Sonnen to the UFC.
"I want to fight Chael Sonnen because No. 1, he's an amazing fighter," Bisping said during an appearance on The MMA Hour.
"When he fought last (against Anderson Silva), he looked fantastic, and I want to challenge myself. He's the No. 2-ranked middleweight in the world. Obviously I can't fight No. 1 because he's got a title shot -- so I want to fight the No. 2 guy."
Sonnen and Bisping as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter -- make it happen, Dana.
SILVA: I WAS A BIG DRUG CHEAT
Thiago Silva has admitted to using a 'urine adulterant' when submitting a sample for his UFC 125 pre-fight drug test.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission confirmed the urine sample Silva submitted prior to his bout with Brandon (The Truth) Vera in January was "inconsistent with human urine."
Silva has since apologized for trying to cheat the system.
"This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished," he said in a statement.
"I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans."
Silva won a unanimous decision that night, resulting in Vera being cut from the UFC roster.
However, when the clean UFC 125 drug test results were released, Silva's name was not on the list despite being among the fighters confirmed to have submitted a urine sample.
NSAC executive director Keith Kizer admitted one sample was still being investigated.
Silva was soon scrapped from a planned fight with Quinton (Rampage) Jackson at UFC 130 in May and Vera was quietly rehired by the UFC.
Silva is suspended until his hearing on April 7 where he could face further suspension, a fine and his decision victory being overturned to a no contest.