March 9, 2011
Cavalcante vows: 'I will be back'Cavalcante says loss will make him stronger
By DAVE HILSON, QMI Agency
TORONTO - Dethroned Rafael (Feijao) Cavalcante isn’t letting his light-heavyweight knockout loss to Dan (Hendo) Henderson in Strikeforce’s Saturday night event at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, get him down. In fact, Cavalcante praised Henderson’s fighting ability and says he will train harder and come back stronger.
“Henderson is a tough guy,” Cavalcante told a news conference. “He does what he does well. That overhand coming from outside, and he hit the target … But I’m (going to) come back home, (do more) training and come back stronger.”
With the victory, the 40-year-old Henderson added the Strikeforce light-heavyweight belt to the middleweight crown he held after UFC 17 and the Pride titles he owned in two weight classes.
Henderson threw a big right hand that sent the 29-year-old Brazilian champ to the canvas in the third round. Henderson then straddled Cavalante and threw six more blows before the referee stopped the fight 50 seconds into the round.
Along with some extra incentive, Cavalcante heads home with a 60-day medical suspension.
Couture gets T.O. green light
Some good news for Randy Couture and Toronto: The mixed martial arts legend was issued a one-fight license by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday for his April 30 light-heavyweight fight against Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 at the Rogers Centre.
The 47-year-old Las Vegas resident and former two-divisional UFC champ had to be sanctioned in Nevada because Ontario requires a license from a fighter’s home state before it issues a license.
Couture, who last fought in August 2010, a first-round victory over boxer James Toney, said there shouldn’t be any concerns about his health.
“I’ve been very active this last year,” Couture told the Las Vegas Sun. “It’s not like I have had any time off. I’m ready to compete and healthy as a horse.”
Ochocinco fight crazy
Leave it to the player formerly known as Ochocinco to make such an outlandish statement. While numerous NFL players have taken up MMA workout regimes in the off-season, none have actually been foolish enough to challenge a professional mixed martial arts fighter to a match. None until Chad Johnson, that is.
The Cincinnati Bengals receiver — who has changed his name back to Johnson from Ochocinco — recently took to Twitter to reaffirm his desire to challenge UFC middleweight champ Anderson (The Spider) Silva to a fight, and he has followed that up with a YouTube video in which he reveals his game plan to dethrone Silva.
“I won’t (get hurt), because I’m not going to go to the ground,” Johnson stated. “I know if I fight Anderson, I have to fight him standing up. I’m quicker than him ... I’m very fast, very quick … So maybe I’ll just run around the ring the whole damn time … Man, I’m crazy enough to get in there, too. That’s the funny thing. I’m crazy enough to get in there.”
You’d have to be, Chad, you would have to be.