Here are the always dangerous Scrapyard predictions for the pay-per- view portion of UFC 109:
- Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture -- A big-name battle of grapplers. Should be a wrestler's fight with a lot of clinching, dirty boxing and groundwork.
PREDICTION: Couture by unanimous decision.
- Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen -- The winner gets a middleweight title shot. Sonnen is a game fighter, but his last four wins are via decision. Marquardt, coming off a 21-second KO of Demian Maia, likes to finish things off.
PREDICTION: Marquardt by second-round TKO.
- Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago -- Thiago has suffered only one loss, a decision to Jon Fitch. The rangy Swick tends to fight in spurts and is coming off a loss to Dan Hardy.
PREDICTION: Thiago by second-round TKO.
- Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller -- Coming off his first career loss, jiu-jitsu ace Maia has plenty to prove. Miller is also adept at submission, but is not in Maia's league.
PREDICTION: Maia by first-round submission.
- Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg -- Serra's resume is slightly deeper -- he beat Georges St-Pierre while Trigg lost to him. But this could be the surprise fight of the night if the old Trigg shows up.
PREDICTION: Serra by unanimous decision.