After going 2-for-5 in UFC 98, the Scrapyard is looking to get back over .500 with these predictions for UFC 99 today:
- Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva -- Both world-class. Both coming off losses. Both like to stand and trade. Advantage goes to Silva. With both fighters transitioning (Franklin from 185 lbs. to 205 and Silva doing the reverse) the 195-lb. catchweight bout should favour Silva. The Brazilian is more explosive than Franklin, who has been susceptible to great strikers. Franklin has a chance if he can weather the first two rounds. Prediction: Silva by first-round KO.
- Cheick Kongo vs. Cain Velasquez: Much has been made of Kongo's steady climb up the heavyweight ranks, but the undefeated Velasquez is a bad matchup for him. Velasquez has a solid wrestling base, but has ended all his fights with knockouts. Kongo is a one-dimensional striker who looks out of sorts on the mat. Prediction: Velasquez by second-round TKO.
- Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick: Riding a three-fight win streak at 170 lbs., Swick is looking more comfortable as a welterweight. Saunders boasts an undefeated record, but hasn't faced a fighter with Swick's resume. Could be an interesting scrap as both can fight their way out of trouble. Prediction: Swick by decision.
- Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy: If you believe all the trash talk, this should be fight of the night. Hardy has called Davis a pretend Irishman and even invited fans to disfigure a photo of Davis on Hardy's website. Davis says he "hates" Hardy. Both welterweights are tough on their feet. Prediction: Davis by decision.
- Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno: In 40 fights as a pro, Uno has never suffered back-to-back losses. He is coming off a loss at Dream 5 to standout Shinya Aoki and is due for a win. But Uno will have his hands full with the improved Fisher, who can strike, move and is lethal on the ground. Prediction: Fisher by decision.
- Mostapha Al Turk vs. Mirko Filipovic: Is the old Cro Cop Filipovic back? If so, this shouldn't go much past the first few minutes of Round 1. Al Turk, on the other hand, has nothing to lose. The two guys who have beaten Cro Cop in the UFC (Cheick Kongo and Gabriel Gonzaga) have gone on to climb the ranks quickly. Prediction: Have a feeling Cro Cop's head is in the right place; first-round KO.