Predictions for tonight's UFC 91 fights:
- Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar for the UFC heavyweight title: Many have lost big betting against Randy Couture but the combination of 15 months of cage rust and a 45-year-old frame will be too much for Couture to overcome. I'll take Brock Lesnar to finish the fight with a third-round TKO.
- Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson: Grab your favourite loonie, toss in the air and make a call. This could prove to be the fight of the night, with two exciting lightweights eager to get closer to a shot at the title. I'll take Florian by decision.
- Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks: Heavyweight fights are either great or awful. They are rarely anything in between. The Gonzaga-Hendricks affair has all the makings of a slow, plodding trot to the 15-minute mark. I'll take Gonzaga by decision.
- Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry: Maia is coming off a win over Canada's Jason MacDonald that stretched his unbeaten record to 8-0. Quarry has good power, but Maia's submissions are among the best in the game. I pick Maia by third-round submission.
- Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory: This is a last-minute substitute on the main card for the Amir Sadollah-Nick Catone fight that was scratched due to Sadollah's leg infection. Hazelett has a better resume, having fought Josh Koscheck, Jonathan Goulet and Josh Burkman. McCrory hasn't faced that type of competition yet. Hazelett should win this. Let's go with a first-round submission.
C4 SHOW SET FOR TONIGHT
Capital City Championship Combat presents an outstanding wrestling card, Only the Best, tonight at the Knights of Columbus Hall (260 McArthur Rd.), at 8 p.m. Among the matches are an Intergender Four Corner Survival match with Beef Wellington vs. Twiggy vs. Pinkie Sanchez vs. Vanessa Kraven, Frankie The Mobster vs. Xtremo and Ricky Reyes vs. "Mr Wrestling" Kevin Steen. The event is being taped for a DVD release. Visit c4wrestling.ca for more details.