LAS VEGAS -- Canadian scrapper Georges St. Pierre's next fight will be a shot at redemption and the welterweight belt.
During the post-fight press conference, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said St. Pierre will fight the winner of the Matt Serra/Matt Hughes championship fight set for December.
"Of course, I would like to fight Matt Serra beause he beat me last time and I'd love to have a rematch," said St. Pierre, who lost his belt to 10-to-1 underdog Serra earlier this year.
"I hope Matt Serra wins because I know I'm better than what I showed last time and I want to prove it to everybody."
Last time, Serra owned St. Pierre en route to a first round TKO loss.
But St. Pierre insists the fighter fans saw that night was not the real St. Pierre.
The Montrealer pointed to a frantic personal life that included too much partying and the serious illness of a pair of family members.
"A lot of things went wrong in my personal life at that time," says the 26-year-old.
St.Pierre went through a management change following the loss and even hired a sports psychologist to help him put his head back on straight.
"I can never promise my fans I will never lose again, but I can promise that I am a new Georges St. Pierre," he said.
The new Georges St. Pierre made his debut Saturday night at UFC 74 before a packed Mandalay Bay Events Centre.
In a card that also saw Canadian Patrick Cote victorious and the elder statesman of mixed martial arts Randy Couture retain his belt, St. Pierre dominated brash grappler Josh Koscheck for three rounds on his way to a unanimous decision.
Koscheck, who had called St.Pierre a tin man with no heart, did a complete reversal in the post-fight interview.
"Georges St. Pierre, he's a true champion and he was the better man Saturday night," said a humble Koscheck.
He said he knew he'd lost the fight even before the final bell sounded.
"With one minute left in the final round, I was like, 'hey Georges, congratulations,' " joked Koscheck. "Then I got hit with an elbow which reminded me, 'Oh yeah, we're still fighting."
- Wanderlei Silva received a hero's welcome backstage at UFC 74 over the weekend. The Brazilian mauler told Sun Media he's ready for his first fight in the UFC in over seven years and he hopes they match him up against Chuck Liddell.
- UFC president Dana White says he's disappointed Renato (Babalu) Sobral held a chokehold on opponent David Heath even though the fighter had tapped out. White says the Nevada State Athletic commission will no doubt punish Sobral.