|Lucian Bute has successfully defended his IBF belt eight times since he first won it in 2007. (QMI Agency/Eric Beaupre)
MONTREAL -- American Glen Johnson has agreed to fight IBF super-middleweight champ Lucian Bute of Montreal despite saying he was "insulted" by the initial purse offer.
The 43-year-old native of Jamaica, nicknamed the Road Warrior, will meet Bute on Nov. 4, likely in Montreal.
The fight will be broadcast on Showtime as part of Bute's three-fight deal worth a reported $6 million.
Bute (29-0, 24 KOs) is one of the world's top pound-for-pound fighters but experts suggest Johnson could be his stiffest test in years.
The Miami resident was initially offered less than $350,000 for the fight, prompting him to lash out at Bute's camp in an interview with Fightnews last week.
"I believe that they're low-balling me very badly, mainly because they don't want the fight to happen," Johnson told the website.
Jean Bedard, Bute's promoter at InterBox, said Johnson recently agreed to sweeten the deal but the terms were not immediately disclosed.
Johnson (51-15-2, 35 KOs) was eliminated in the semifinals of the Super Six boxing tournament but is still considered a top contender.
He has held four belts in two weight divisions in an 18-year career, most notably the Ring light heavyweight title in a decision over Antonio Tarver in 2004. The win earned Johnson the 2004 fighter of the year award by the Boxing Writer's Association of America.
Bute has successfully defended his IBF belt eight times since he first won it in 2007.
His last win was a fourth-round knockout of French boxer Jean-Paul Mendy on July 9 in Bucharest, Romania, where Bute was born and raised before moving to Montreal.