September 21, 2014

HOCKEY
HOCKEY POOL
JR. HOCKEY
WRESTLING
CFL
NFL
MLB
NBA
2012 GAMES
FIGHTING
SOCCER
GOLF
TENNIS
MOTORSPORTS
CURLING
LACROSSE
FIG. SKATING
SKIING
OTHER SPORTS
COMMENT
SLAM! BLOG
SLAM! TUMBLR
SCOREBOARD
DAILY GALLERY
MORE GALLERIES
VIDEO GALLERY
NEWSLETTER
RSS FEED
TWITTER FEED


NFL CANADA


What do you think of Team Canada's logo?
Sat, August 22, 2009

By ROB GRANATSTEIN, SUN MEDIA

The brandspanking-new Team Canada hockey jersey is the latest reason why we need to give the Canada cliche a rest.

It's time we stopped portraying Canada with such a heavy emphasis on our Native roots.

Our home and Native land has been shaped by the aboriginals who were here on this land first, but they no longer define the country.

It's hard to argue the influence of the Native people on the West Coast, especially in Vancouver. A trip to Stanley Park drives it home.

But when we think of Vancouver and, by extension, look forward to the Winter Olympics, do you really think Inukshuk?

Vancouver is a thriving, diverse, cosmopolitan playground where you can ski and swim on the same day, explore the mountains, and eat like you're in China.

Yet the Olympic organizers chose an Inukshuk as the logo for the 2010 Games -- a northern symbol more than a west coast one. That's our face to the world.

What do you think of Team Canada's logo? Is it possible to be 'too Native'?

Have your say in our forum.

New Team Canada hockey jersey no good



Name:  
E-mail:
Comment:

 
This comment is FULLY MODERATED.

YOU SAID
34 Comments

All Canadians identify with the game's significance in our culture, but it would appear that the game would never have been invented except for the First Nations people.

"The origins of hockey can be traced back well over a century. While there is some debate as to where the sport officially began, one thing is certain: Aboriginal people have been playing hockey for almost as long as there has been ice to play it on.

The first versions of hockey in Aboriginal communities were most likely played with carved one-piece wooden sticks and a makeshift puck. There is evidence that hockey may have started as a winter version of a pre-lacrosse game, invented by First Nations tribes hundreds of years ago.

It is well documented that over a hundred years ago, in New Brunswick, the Mi'kmaq tribes made the first one-piece sticks. These sticks were used for play in organized leagues at the early stages of organized hockey in Canada. With this history, it is no wonder that Aboriginal people have a connection to the game and that hockey plays a huge role in Aboriginal communities today."

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/hockey/024002-2401-e.html
Cody, 2009-08-22 19:13:59

Could not agree more.... Why do we as a nation, constantly refer to Canada's native peoples, who make up a grand total of 4.3% of the population? What about the rest of the populace? I also believe the other 95.7% of people are tired of the same "Native....native.....native.
R Jansen, 2009-08-22 19:09:57

I like the jersey and may buy one.


Andreas, 2009-08-22 18:40:06

way too native

native does not define Canada

way better to pput the names of our fallen Soldiers instead

they are Heros who define Canada

interesting that not many Natives or Landed Immigrants have fallen for their country....
jim, 2009-08-22 17:42:55

i think rob has a bit of a problem,i dont see anything wrong with the logo,,its great
john, 2009-08-22 17:28:57

I fully agree with ROB GRANATSTEIN, we've become obsessed with being politically correct.
Richard, 2009-08-22 15:44:49

Win the gold, and no one will really care what the jersey looks like!
BH, 2009-08-22 15:12:03

Personally, I think VANOC missed the boat with their logo by not incorporating the art of the west coast first nations. It is beautiful and a recognizable symbol of the area (probably more so than first nations art anywhere else in Canada). As such, incorporating it into the Canada crest only makes sense. I hope HBC incorporates some of the elements into the Olympic Team uniforms that will be worn at ceremonies.
Allan Thomson, 2009-08-22 14:36:25

I think it portrays to the world that we are in touch with our native people and that they are a big part of what Canada is all about.
MadMax, 2009-08-22 13:54:24

This would be perfect if all we were sending was a Lacrosse Team.
Gary Kenny, 2009-08-22 13:41:24

<< Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >>
Comment Links

Comment Links

, Last Updated: 10:59 AM ET

CNEWS Comments JAM Comments LIFEWISE Comments

Videos

Photos




Canoe Sports | Videos & Photos – News – Results – Scoreboard & Statistics
Watch this 83-metre howitzer of a soccer goal

Videos

Photos



Which team is your early pick to win the Stanley Cup this season?
  Blackhawks
  Penguins
  Bruins
  Kings
  Blues
  Red Wings
  Canucks
  Ducks
  Another team


Results