September 22, 2009
Burke getting it done with Leafs
By GARY LOEWEN, SUN MEDIA
Five questions -- two with answers -- as Toronto's bums of summer give way to the Leafs of fall:
1) Here's the old lament from many Maple Leafs fans: When are the Leafs going to get a winger for Mats Sundin?
The new lament now that the Leafs have a winger: When are the Leafs going to get a centre for Phil Kessel?
Let's not overanalyze, folks. Kessel won't even play until November and if Brian Burke figures he needs a centre, he'll go out and get one. He still has a plethora of defencemen, remember, to allow tinkering.
2) You have to like Burke's "need it, want it, get it" attitude. In that respect, he is similar to Jim Balsillie.
Except that RimJim is struggling to clear that final hurdle in attempting to buy the woefully pathetic Phoenix Coyotes franchise. Who knew money can't necessarily buy crappiness?
3) The old lament from Blue Jays fans: If only that Alex Rios-for-Tim Lincecum trade had gone through a couple of years ago.
Given the overall well-being of the Jays pitching staff, Lincecum likely would be spending next season recovering from Tommy John surgery.
4) If Marco Scutaro has a chronic heel injury, why has he been put in the lineup virtually everyday, particularly when the Jays fell out of playoff contention months ago?
5) Isn't it appropriate that a fellow named Scott (Greg Scott, a 21-year-old forward from Victoria) should be on the Marlies roster for a four-team tournament this week in Edinburgh?
A California man is to appear before a judge for allegedly littering in Joshua Tree National Park.
Douglas Jones, 57, is accused of having thrown about 3,000 golf balls out his car window and into the park during the past two years.
Jones said the golf balls were intended as memorials to dead golfers.
Could that be a buried lie?
Lindsay Huetson, a lifelong Bears fan, got married Sunday morning, before her favourite team played the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Curious facts about Huetson's ceremony (it was all her idea):
a) It took place at a Chicago sports bar, ESPN Zone;
b) The bride didn't exactly wear white; she wore a Bears jersey;
c) The groom, who grew up in Pittsburgh, wore a Steelers jersey;
d) The bridesmaids wore pink Bears jerseys;
e) The best man didn't fumble the ring handoff to the groom.
Fittingly, in the NFL game later that day, the bride's team won; the groom's team lost.
Let that be a early marriage lesson to him.