October 30, 2008
Green and Gold are rarely boring
Wildly inconsistent on the field, the Edmonton Eskimos are rarely boring off the field.
With the Green and Gold playing their final regular-season game tomorrow against Montreal at Commonwealth Stadium, here are the 12 most interesting quotes - in chronological order - relating to the team that have appeared in the Edmonton Sun so far this season.
- "If I was the GM I wouldn't have got rid of Omarr Morgan or Stanford Samuels." - Saskatchewan Roughrider Omarr Morgan, commenting on the off-season work done by Eskimo head coach/director of football operations Danny Maciocia. (appeared on June 28)
- "I'll kiss him back." - Eskimo offensive lineman Calvin Armstrong on what would happen if Toronto's Adriano Belli - the Kissing Bandit - kissed him on the field this year. (July 10)
- "When I looked up and seen that (my leg was sideways) I just looked to the sidelines and waved the (medical) guys to come and get me. It (the injury) really wasn't bothering me. I got a high tolerance for pain." - Eskimo Fred Perry recalling his broken leg and dislocated ankle on July 20 at Rogers Centre. (July 22)
- "(The doctors) are amazed I am on my feet this soon. When they told me - after I saw everything - it was like 80% of the cases that come in like this, people would not be on their feet - they would be paralyzed. They are in real awe of it." - Jason Tucker in first public comments after breaking his neck in Hamilton. (Aug. 1)
- "It's like a corner of the playing field (is) almost a daycare centre with all his toys." - Maciocia on Edmonton defensive line coach Don Wnek using a plastic knife and bowling pins at practice to help improve the hand speed of his players. (Aug. 20).
- "I love it. Green means money and that is what we are going to get this Monday. W's are money in my pocket. I am very glad for the change-up. I am glad that we have an equipment manager that is very fashionable, visionary and ahead of the game - and likes to look good. If you look good, you play good." - Eskimo Kelly Campbell on the team wearing green helmets two days later in the Labour Day Classic. Edmonton won the game. (Aug. 30).
- "I feel we are the best team in the CFL." - Eskimo Shannon Garrett before the Labour Day rematch when the Esks had a 6-3 record. (Sept. 5)
- "We have lost an icon in this country. You just can't replace him." - Eskimo linebacker coach Dan Kepley on the death of Ron Lancaster. (Sept. 19)
- "We are all totally embarrassed. We were terrible today. If I start talking about it I will miss my flight (home)." - Maciocia just moments after his club lost 40-4 in Montreal. (Sept. 22)
- "I saw (Murphy) on top of one of my guys (Goss), doing unnecessary s---. So what I do is protect my guys." - Edmonton's Dario Romero on Rob Murphy pinning Jason Goss at B.C. Place. (Oct. 12)
- "Waaa. Cry." -Armstrong when told of the allegations coming from B.C. of the Esks holding, clotheslining and choking Lions. (Oct. 16)
- "We are just plain dumb. We're dumb. Collectively as a whole group, we are a bunch of dummies right now." - Maciocia ripping his club after a 55-9 loss in Regina. (Oct. 26)