Report: NBA to cancel at least two more weeks

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 2:24 AM ET

NEW YORK - Less than a week after the latest round of combative talks broke off with the union, the NBA is reportedly set to cancel at least two more weeks of the season.

The league will make the announcement on Tuesday, according to a report Monday night by the New York Daily News, which cited a person familiar with the NBA's plans.

The first two weeks of the season -- a total of 100 games -- have already been canceled in the league's first loss of games since 1998-99, when the schedule was reduced to 50 games because of a work stoppage.

The two sides met for the last time on Thursday, but did not schedule any further discussions on the lockout that started July 1.

They remain divided over the two main issues -- the division of revenues and the structure of the salary cap system -- and couldn't bridge either gap despite three meetings overseen last week by federal mediator George Cohen.

"Ultimately we were unable to bridge the gap that separates the two parties," NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday.

NBA commissioner David Stern said two weeks ago that the league's popular Christmas schedule could be jeopardized if a deal wasn't reached by Tuesday, October 17.

The regular season was supposed to start November 1. The first two weeks of cancellations affected games up to November 14.


Videos

Photos