Blue Jays GM says Brett Lawrie could be back Friday

Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie reacts to being taken out of the game due to injury...

Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie reacts to being taken out of the game due to injury during a break in play against the Atlanta Braves in Toronto May 27, 2013. (REUTERS/Mark Blinch)

Mike Rutsey, Toronto Sun

, Last Updated: 12:01 AM ET

When Alex Anthopoulos blew into town the other day, he had plenty of news to share.

Among the highlights of a pre-game chat with the Jays’ general manager on Thursday were the following nuggets:

* He doesn’t expect to be able to sign the No. 1 pick from last month’s June draft, right-hander Phillip Bickford of Oaks Christian High School.

* The decision on where Brett Lawrie plays — second or third — will be left to manager John Gibbons.

* He still believes the Jays can be a contender this season.

* He isn’t in the market to add a rental player at the July 31 trade deadline.

* He would like to bring pitcher Josh Johnson, a free agent, back next season.

Regarding Bickford, the Jays have until 5 p.m. Friday to sign the 17-year-old. Slot money for the pick is $2,921,400.

“Right now, though, it looks as though we won’t be signing him,” Anthopoulos said. “I guess anything can change."


Videos

Photos