Tampa Bay Rays left-hander David Price was fined an undisclosed amount for hitting Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz with a pitch last week, according to reports Wednesday.
The Boston Globe originally reported Price's fine and that he was not suspended.
Price, 28, hit Ortiz in the first inning. Both benches were warned and Price hit outfielder Mike Carp with a pitch later in the game, but it was deemed unintentional.
Red Sox right-hander Brandon Workman responded by throwing behind third baseman Evan Longoria, up around his head. Workman was suspended six games because it happened after the warning and was close to the head. He is appealing the suspension and will start Wednesday night as scheduled.
Ortiz fumed that Workman was suspended while Price got away with just a fine.
"We're the ones getting fines and suspensions," Ortiz said Tuesday. "I guess the rules aren't for everyone. I don't think what they're doing is fair. I think the rules should be for everybody. We didn't start this up. I didn't hit nobody. Workman didn't hit anybody in the first inning. (Price) did.
"I thought the rule was for everybody. I thought that the minute you figure someone hit someone on purpose -- the rule says it right there -- you're going to follow up with it. In this case, it seems they ain't.
"Workman throws one pitch behind Longoria, he got thrown out of the game. So (what) are you telling me? We haven't hit nobody. But the guy who threw a pitch behind Longoria and he got thrown out of the game? So where we at?"
Ortiz ripped Price following the game last week, going as far as calling him "a little girl."
TROUT INJURY NOT SERIOUS
Tests showed Wednesday that Los Angeles Angels centre fielder Mike Trout has inflammation in his back but no structural damage.
Trout left Tuesday night's game against the Houston Astros because of stiffness after missing two weekend games. He did not start Wednesday night against the Astros, but he is hoping to return Thursday.
"It's definitely good news," Trout told MLB.com. "I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe I'll go tomorrow."
Josh Hamilton started in Trout's place in centre on Wednesday. Hamilton returned from the disabled list this week from a thumb injury.
The 22-year-old Trout is batting .294 with 11 home runs, 38 RBIs and five stolen bases in 54 games this season.
GONZO GOES ON DL
The Colorado Rockies placed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday.
Gonzalez went on the DL for the first time this season despite injuring his finger several times previously. He reinjured the left index finger during Tuesday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Gonzalez told reporters that he might need surgery. Doctors informed him that he could have a growth on the finger. He has missed four games and left three others early this season because of a broken blood vessel that caused swelling.
The 28-year-old Gonzalez is batting .255 in 52 games this season, well off his .307 career average.
The Rockies designated catcher Jordan Pacheco for assignment, giving them 10 days to trade or release him. If he passes through waivers, he could go to Triple-A. The 28-year-old was batting .236 in 22 games this season.
YANKEES SHUFFLE STAFF
The New York Yankees made several moves with their pitching staff Wednesday.
The team added left-hander Wade LeBlanc and right-hander Jose Ramirez to their active roster, designated right-hander Alfredo Aceves for assignment and demoted right-hander Preston Claiborne to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Ramirez has been impressive in the minors. He has given up just one run in 10 2/3 innings with 13 strikeouts.
The Yankees claimed LeBlanc off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels on Tuesday. He pitched 6 1/3 innings of relief on Friday, allowing four runs on six hits and two walks.
DIETRICH SENT DOWN
Derek Dietrich, who has been the Miami Marlins' starting second baseman since being called up from the minors in the middle of last season, was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans to work on his defence.
The 24-year-old Dietrich has seven errors, which is tied for the major league lead among second basemen.
Dietrich has appeared in 41 games and is batting .241 with five doubles, two triples, five home runs and 16 RBIs.
"We're just in a situation where we wanted to make sure that (Dietrich) plays," manager Mike Redmond said. "There are some defensive things that obviously we want him to work out. He needs to play. He's still a young guy.
"We love him and we love what he can do. He just needs to be more consistent. He understands that. We know he will go down and work on, not just his defense, but all aspects of his game. The guy is a big leaguer. It's all about consistency up here in the big leagues. I know he will go down there and do what he needs to do to come back here as soon as possible."
CUBS LEAVING WGN RADIO
The Chicago Cubs and WGN radio are ending their relationship after 90 years, according to reports Wednesday.
The Chicago Tribune reported the Cubs have signed a long-term deal with CBS-owned station WBBM-AM 780 to carry the team's games starting next season. An announcement is expected on Thursday.
The move marks the end for the Cubs games being on the Tribune Co.-owned WGN-AM 720 station.
With the Cubs losing 197 games in two seasons, WGN used an opt-out clause in its contract due to declining ratings and revenue last fall. WGN couldn't come to terms with the Cubs on a new deal.
"We're very proud of our long-time association with the Cubs, but it has to make good business sense and the current arrangement does not," WGN radio president and general manager Jimmy de Castro said on his station, 87.7 The Game, on Wednesday morning.
The first Cubs game aired on WGN on April 14, 1925, nearly four years after the first baseball game was heard on the radio on KDKA in Pittsburgh and more than 16 years after the Cubs' last World Series.