Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who is recovering from offseason ankle and shoulder surgery, might not join the team in Australia for the start of the regular season.
The Dodgers travel to Australia to open the season against the Arizona Diamondbacks on March 22-23.Follow @SlamSports
Manager Don Mattingly told the Los Angeles Times that it is unlikely Kemp will be healthy enough to make the trip next month.
"We're not hopeful for Australia," he said.
Mattingly believes Kemp will undergo an MRI next week to find out if he can start running.
Without Kemp, the Dodgers still have Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier and Yasiel Puig in the outfield.
Kemp, 29, had a batting line of .270/.328/.395 with six home runs, 33 RBIs and nine stolen bases in 73 games in 2013. He was coming off shoulder surgery, but continued to have problems with the shoulder as well as dealing with ankle and hamstring injuries.
After returning from Australia, the Dodgers resume the regular season March 30 against the San Diego Padres.
PADRES SHUT DOWN PROSPECT
San Diego Padres top pitching prospect Max Fried was shut down for two weeks because of soreness in his pitching forearm.
Fried, a left-hander, was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft. He was expected to participate in the club's annual prospect minicamp, which started Wednesday.
"He experienced some soreness during his offseason throwing," general manager Josh Byrnes told MLB.com on Thursday. "We examined him in San Diego and again in Peoria (Ariz.) and have decided to shut down any throwing until the symptoms are completely resolved."
Fried, 20, is 6-8 with a 3.50 ERA in 136 1/3 pro innings, mostly with Class A Fort Wayne of the Midwest League last year.
Fried is expected to start the season in Class A Lake Elsinore of the California League.
An MRI taken Feb. 11 revealed no damage to his elbow.
QB WILSON TO ATTEND MLB CAMP
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson announced via Twitter that he will be at the Texas Rangers' spring training facility on March 3.
Wilson tweeted a photo of himself Thursday holding a Rangers No. 3 jersey with a message that read: "Hey @Rangers fans... See you at 'Surprise' Arizona on March 3!"
It is not clear if Wilson will participate in drills or just meet and greet players. Rangers officials said they will contact Wilson's agent, Mark Rodgers, to coordinate a schedule, but it is not likely that Wilson will spend much time in Arizona.
"We are very pleased that Russell will be able to spend some time at our spring training camp," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said in a statement. "Due to his other commitments, I expect his visit will be brief but he should be able to interact with our players on both the major and minor league sides. We are finalizing his exact schedule for March 3."
The Rangers selected Wilson in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft in December. Wilson said at the time that he was interested in attending spring training.
The Rangers paid $12,000 to take Wilson from the Colorado Rockies, who originally drafted Wilson. He batted .229 with five home runs, 19 stolen bases and 118 strikeouts as a Class A second baseman in 2010 and 2011. The Seahawks selected Wilson in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft.
KOUFAX HIT BY LINE DRIVE
Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax was hit in the head by a line drive hit by Andre Ethier at Los Angeles Dodgers' camp on Friday.
MLB.com reported that Koufax stayed on his feet but did sustain a cut.
The Los Angeles Times reported Koufax was conscious and smiling as team trainers carted him off for medical attention. The Dodgers did not immediate released any other details.
Koufax, 78, who spent his 12-year playing career with the Dodgers, is a regular at spring training.
LINCECUM AWARDED $100,000
Tim Lincecum and a former landlord have agreed to a $100,000 judgment in the Giants pitcher's favour Friday after he was sued for allegedly leaving a San Francisco townhouse a wreck in 2010, according to local media reports.
Landlord Mindy Freile was seeking $350,000 in damages. Lincecum countersued, arguing the allegations were false and also contended that she violated a state law that required her to account for the whereabouts of his security deposit.
Lincecum's lawyer, Peter M. Bransten, told the San Francisco Chronicle that if Freile had lost the case, she would have faced three times the amount the Giants pitcher was seeking in his countersuit and decided to settle for $100,000 instead.
A reduced settlement is on the table if Freile is able to pay by a certain date.
"I am pleased with the result and believe that this was an attempt from the very beginning on the landlord's part to take advantage of my public profile for financial gain," Lincecum said in a statement released through sports agency Beverly Hills Sports Council.
"She kept the balance of my security deposit while making unsubstantiated claims of exaggerated damage. While litigation is something you always want to avoid, I will always defend myself against frivolous lawsuits."