Cincinnati Reds standout second baseman Brandon Phillips is still a little sour that first baseman Joey Votto got a huge contract extension before he did.
Votto signed a 10-year, $225 million extension with the Reds in April 2012, two years before his contract expired. Days later, Phillips agreed to a six-year, $72.5 million extension.
Clearly he's still bitter how everything went down, telling Cincinnati Magazine he's "scarred" because of it.
"To this day, I'm still hurt. Well, I don't wanna say hurt. I'll say scarred. I'm still scarred. It just sucks that it happened," he said in the story. "But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face. I told them that this is where I wanted to be. I begged them. I told everybody I want to finish my career here. And then they give someone a contract who didn't ask for nothing?"
Votto said Friday that he had no problem with Phillips' comments.
"Those comments have nothing to do with me," Votto said. "It doesn't change a single thing, it makes me like him more, to be honest with you. Not many players are very honest, usually they give catch phrases, similar to what I'm doing right now. He's a refreshing guy because he is honest and he does tell people how he feels."
GARZA TOLD HE'LL BE TRADED
Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza may get to pitch in October after all.
Garza told ESPN Chicago Friday that the club informed his agent that he will be traded.
"They told my agent (earlier in the week) that they were going to move me," Garza said. "They said as much as they like me they need to add inventory for the future. I want to stay, but that doesn't seem possible now."
The Cubs are selling as they look to be out of playoff contention with a 42-51 record heading into Friday action.
They already dealt starting pitcher Scott Feldman to the Baltimore Orioles. Garza appears to be next as several teams looking to contend for the postseason are interested in acquiring him.
The Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Cleveland Indians and Toronto Blue Jays have reportedly been asked to put in final bids for Garza. The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31.
LINCECUM STAYING PUT
Looks like Tim Lincecum, fresh off a no-hitter against the San Diego Padres, will finish the season with the San Francisco Giants.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean dismissed the possibility that Lincecum will be traded during his show on KNBR radio.
"I expect Timmy to be in a Giant uniform," Sabean said. "I find it hard to believe he'll pitch elsewhere this year. ... We need him to get back in this thing."
Lincecum, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, has struggled again this season -- he's 5-9 with a 4.26 earned-run average -- despite throwing his first career no-hitter a week ago. He's been rumoured to be on the move for some time now, but Sabean put that chatter to rest.
"That's good," Lincecum said. "It's not a concern on my mind, especially when I hear something like that to kind of knock down any would-be rumors."
RED SOX ADD ARMS
With reliever Andrew Bailey going on the disabled list -- and potentially being done for the season -- the Boston Red Sox needed to add some veteran arms.
And that they did Friday, signing Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon to minor-league deals.
Contreras was released by the Pittsburgh Pirates Thursday after posting a 0.93 earned-run average in 19 innings with triple-A Indianapolis this season. Lyon was released by the New York Mets July 9 after appearing in 37 games as a reliever.
Bailey, who lost the closer role earlier this season, has labrum damage and could need season-ending surgery, according to the Boston Globe. This is his second stint on the DL this season.
TEEN FACING JAIL TIME
The teenage fan who bolted onto the field during Tuesday's MLB all-star game could face up to a year in jail.
Dylan McCue-Masone has been charged with third-degree criminal trespassing by the Queens Criminal Court, according to a report from news website DNAinfo New York.
The 18-year-old Shirley, N.Y., man was tackled by a security guard on his way to second base and the situation died down.
"What is particularly disturbing in this case is that the incident occurred while the game was in progress and the players were on the field," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said.
As expected, the Chicago White Sox activated pitcher Jake Peavy off the disabled list Friday. Peavy, who was sidelined six weeks with a broken rib, is scheduled to start Saturday against the Atlanta Braves ... The Chicago Cubs called up 23-year-old third baseman Junior Lake from triple-A Iowa. Lake is hitting .295 with hour home runs in the minors this season ... Former Blue Jays infielder Eric Hinske is expected to retire after being released by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Hinske, the 2004 AL rookie of the year, was dropped from the Diamondbacks' 40-man roster last month ... Los Angeles Angeles outfielder Peter Bourjos, who's been out with a broken wrist since June 29, will probably miss another one or two weeks after an X-ray showed the bone hasn't completely healed. Bourjos has played in just 40 games this season due to injuries.
-- with files from Sun wire services