The Arizona Diamondbacks say they’re puzzled after Major League Baseball handed them a plethora of suspensions Friday relating to last week’s bench-clearing brawl with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy took the worst of it, receiving a 10-game suspension for throwing at Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke.
Arizona infielder Eric Hinske received the second-largest suspension, a five-game ban for what the league called “aggressive actions.”
Through it all, the Diamondbacks are in the dark as to why the hammer came down so severely on them as opposed to the opposition.
"Ten games, I think they are trying to set an example," Kennedy told Fox Sports Arizona.
Catcher Miguel Montero, who received an undisclosed fine for his involvement, echoed the sentiment.
"It’s not right,” Montero said. “I don’t know what camera they were looking at."
He then went on to defend Henske.
"The guy was getting punched and he was trying to break the fight down and he gets five games. Really?
“The guy Puig, throwing punches all over the place. Every single camera saw him throwing punches. Just a fine? That’s the thing that I don’t understand.”
In all, 12 players were punished in the five-minute melee, but the Diamondbacks received twice the number of suspensions overall.
It didn’t stop Montero from giving the Dodgers one last jab.
"I know (Greinke’s) a little chicken s---. I didn’t want to fight.”
The American League’s best pitcher could be headed for the disabled list.
MassLive.com reported Saturday that Boston Red Sox ace Clay Buchholz has been scratched from Tuesday's start due to discomfort in his neck.
Left-hander Felix Doubront is expected to start against the visiting Tampa Bay Rays in Buchholz’s place.
“Clay threw today, he feels a little bit better than he did yesterday but not to the point where he’s going to throw a bullpen (session) tomorrow," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
“He’s not to the point physically where he feels he can get on the mound tomorrow without the potential of a setback or irritating the trap muscle that he’s feeling it in.”
One of three 9-0 pitchers in the majors this season, Buchholz, 28, missed time at the end of last month with irritation in his right AC joint.
ASTROS INK APPEL
The Houston Astros have reportedly inked this year’s top draft pick.
According to CBS Sports, the Astros and right-handed pitcher Mark Appel, who was born in Houston, have reached a deal believed to be in the neighbourhood of $6.5 million.
Selected first overall out of Stanford last week, Appel, a 6-foot-5, 21-year-old, bypassed a $3.8 million signing bonus to return to college last year after being selected No. 8 overall by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Appel finished 10-4 in his final NCAA season, accumulating a 2.12 ERA and 130 strikeouts.
When reached by MLB.com Saturday, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wouldn’t confirm the report.
"I'm hopeful we can move quickly once we start (the) dialogue, but there is no timeframe yet,” Luhnow said last week.
The Astros have signed 17 of their 40 picks from this year’s draft.
BRIEFLY: The Cincinnati Reds have placed right-handed reliever Jonathan Broxton on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow strain … The Texas Rangers activated second baseman Ian Kinsler from the disabled list ahead of Saturday’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays … The Miami Marlins on Saturday placed catcher Miguel Olivo on the restricted list after he left the team … The Baltimore Orioles optioned Japanese lefty Tsuyoshi Wada to triple-A Norfolk for a rehab assignment, according to MASNSports.com … The Reds are set to activate righty Johnny Cueto from the disabled list on Sunday, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.