Dodgers sale gets OK from court

The Los Angeles Dodgers line up during the pre-game ceremonies before their MLB national league...

The Los Angeles Dodgers line up during the pre-game ceremonies before their MLB national league baseball game home opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates in Los Angeles April 10, 2012. (REUTERS/Danny Moloshok)

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 11:06 PM ET

WILMINGTON, DE - The $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to a group that includes NBA Hall-of-Famer Magic Johnson has been approved in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

The OK came Friday and despite strong objections from Major League Baseball, the Los Angeles Times said.

In what the paper called six hours of contentious arguments, MLB argued that Commissioner Bud Selig should have control of the team. The deal was closed, and an attorney for the league said MLB wasn't trying to block the sale.

Late last month, it was announced that Johnson's group, Guggenheim Baseball Management LLC, had purchased the club for the hefty price.

The sale came less than a year after the Dodgers filed for bankruptcy. The previous owner, Frank McCourt, had agreed to sell soon after being awarded the team in a messy divorce settlement.

MLB and the Dodgers had agreed to the court-supervised process to sell the team and its media rights to maximize the team's value.


Videos

Photos