MLB notes: Guerrero denies attacking cops

Baltimore Orioles' Vladimir Guerrero (C) is pictured with his former manager and mentor Felipe Alou...

Baltimore Orioles' Vladimir Guerrero (C) is pictured with his former manager and mentor Felipe Alou (L) and the Dominican Republic's Ambassador to the United States Anibal de Castro before the Orioles' MLB American League baseball game against the Boston Red Sox in Baltimore, Maryland September 28, 2011. (REUTERS/Joe Giza)

QMI AGENCY

, Last Updated: 8:15 PM ET

Vladimir Guerrero has surrendered to police after an alleged attack on an officer at a disco in the Dominican Republic.

The former major-leaguer denied being part of an attack, however multiple reports said he had been charged with physical and verbal assault on an authority.

The brawl took place in Nizao, about 70 km from Santo Domingo. A police spokesman told Dominican Today that a brother and two cousins of Guerrero were being held for their alleged roles.

Guerrero, 37, is a free agent after playing last season with the Baltimore Orioles.

REDS SPEND AGAIN

The Cincinnati Reds have signed another of their key players, a six-year, $72.5-million deal with second baseman Brandon Phillips, Foxsports.com reported Tuesday.

The contract begins this season, replacing Phillips' current one-year, $12.5 million contract.

"Looks like y'all might have to deal w/me a little bit longer," Phillips tweeted Tuesday.

Phillips, who turns 31 on June 28, is sidelined for a few days with a sore left hamstring.

The Reds last week signed first baseman Joey Votto to 10-year, $225-million extension.

KINSLER A LONG-TERM RANGER

The Texas Rangers have agreed to a five-year, $75-million contract extension with Ian Kinsler, the second baseman's agent told ESPN.com Tuesday.

Agent Jay Franklin said the two sides spent four or five long days hacking out an agreement. It includes a $10-million option for a sixth year that could keep Kinsler, 29, in a Texas uniform through 2018. Kinsler is guaranteed $75 million, including a $5-million buyout should the option not be picked up.

It is expected the Rangers will announce the deal Wednesday.

INDIANS INK SANTANA

Carlos Santana was rewarded Tuesday for a strong 2011 season, accepting a five-year, $21-million contract with the Cleveland Indians.

The deal includes a club option for 2017. Assuming the Indians pick up that option, Santana would forgo one year of potential free agency.

"Excited to get a multiyear deal done with Carlos that could keep him here through 2017," team president Mark Shapiro wrote via Twitter. "He's an exciting middle-of-the-diamond run producer that we can build around."

Santana, 26, set a club record last season for homers by a switch-hitter, with 27.

BRIEFLY

Oakland Athletics right-hander Joey Devine was scheduled Tuesday to have a second surgery on his right pitching elbow. Devine, 28, has experienced further problems since having Tommy John surgery in April 2009 ... The Atlanta Braves activated third baseman Chipper Jones from the 15-day disabled list Tuesday. Jones, who is set to retire at the end of the season, had surgery March 26 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee ... The Chicago White Sox acquired infielder Jose Castro from the Reds for a player to be named. The 25-year-old second baseman and shortstop was assigned to triple-A Charlotte. It's not know if former Chisox manager Ozzie Guillen gave Castro a ringing endorsement.


Videos

Photos