MLB notes: Kinsler fails to get new deal done
By QMI Agency
|Texas Rangers' Ian Kinsler hits an RBI single against the St. Louis Cardinals during the seventh inning in Game 6 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis, Missouri, October 27, 2011. (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes)
Texas Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler didn't get his contract extension after all.
The two sides came close -- agonizingly close, Kinsler said -- to working out a new deal before the Rangers opened the season against the Chicago White Sox. Both sides had set opening day as a deadline for any new contract.
"Close enough to be disappointed it's not done," Kinsler said Friday. "That's not really something I'm thinking about right now. I'm concentrating on baseball. It's going to be something if they do continue talking, I'm not involved anymore, and I really don't want to be involved anymore.
"I don't want to (continue negotiating). I want to concentrate on baseball. It's an added distraction when it doesn't need to be."
Kinsler will make $7 million this season and the Rangers hold an option for next year at $10 million.
PETTITTE GOES MONDAY
Andy Pettitte, trying to complete a comeback with the New York Yankees after a year in retirement, will start in an extended spring training game Monday against the Philadelphia Phillies.
Pettitte threw a scheduled 45-pitch bullpen session Friday in Tampa and appears to be on track to join the Yankees in the near future. He will likely make five or six starts in extended spring training before the Yankees will need to decide if they want to add him to the roster.
Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda threw lightly Friday and is expected to do so again Saturday. He started the season on the disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis and isn't expected to pitch for the Yankees in April.
BAILEY MOVING FORWARD
Boston Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey expects to pitch again this season.
Bailey had surgery Wednesday to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb will wear a soft cast on his hand for the next 10-14 days.Although there is no timetable for his return, he doesn't believe the surgery will cost him the season.
"I will be able to make it back this year and the whole season is not lost," Bailey said Friday. "There's a lot of good in that, but it's still very frustrating having to start the season this way. Hopefully, all these injuries are behind me and I'll keep moving forward. All I can do is keep pushing forward, take care of business, get back out there and be ready to rock when the body is ready to go."
Bailey, acquired in a trade with Oakland in December, hurt his thumb when he jammed it during a collision with a base-runner March 21.
METS PUT TORRES ON DL
The New York Mets called up Kirk Nieuwenhuis to replace injured outfielder Andres Torres, who was put on the 15-day disabled list Friday.
Nieuwenhuis is expected to be activated Saturday and will make his major league debut against the Atlanta Braves. In 53 games with Buffalo last year, a season cut short by injury, Nieuwenhuis hit .298 with six home runs, 17 doubles and a .403 on-base percentage.
Torres strained his left calf in the Mets' season opener against Atlanta Friday. He planned to return to Florida to start rehabbing the injury.
The St. Louis Cardinals put reliever Scott Linebrink on the 15-day DL and purchased the contract of right-hander Victor Marte from Triple-A Memphis. Linebrink has capsulitis in his right shoulder ... Houston Astros infielder Jed Lowrie went on the 15-day DL, retroactive to March 29, with a sprained right thumb. He's eligible to come off the DL on April 13 ... The Tampa Bay Rays expect to be without closer Kyle Farnsworth for 4-6 weeks, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Farnsworth is on the DL with an elbow issue that was originally considered minor.