Former World Series hero Lenny Dykstra, 49, was sentenced Monday to three years in prison in the wake of a no-contest plea in October to grand theft auto charges.
A Los Angeles judge rejected Dykstra's request to withdraw the plea and fight the charges at trial.
Dykstra was charged in June with 25 counts of grand theft auto, attempted grand theft auto, filing false financial statements and possessing a controlled substance in an alleged scheme to lease cars using fake business and credit information.
Dykstra, who spent 12 seasons as an outfielder with the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies, also faces fraud and obstruction of justice charges in a separate case. He is accused of stealing or destroying $400,000 in property and faces up to 80 years in prison if convicted.
And last August, Dykstra was charged with two misdemeanour counts of indecent exposure after Los Angeles prosecutors said he exposed himself to several women.
In Game 3 of the 1986 World Series, Dykstra hit a home run, sparking a Mets comeback from a 2-0 series disadvantage to win the championship over the Boston Red Sox.
METS FACE PONZI LOSS
The New York Mets principal owners must pay more than $80 million to a trustee trying to recover funds for losers in Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme, a federal judge ruled Monday.
The owners will have to stand trial later this month in a civil lawsuit seeking to recover another $300 million.
Judge Jed Rakoff said he remained "skeptical" the trustee, Irving Picard, could prevail on the rest of his lawsuit, which accuses team owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz of acting in bad faith in dealing with Madoff.
Wilpon and Katz have said they saw nothing suspicious about Madoff in their more than 20 years of investing with him and "never for a moment" thought he was engaged in a fraud or Ponzi scheme.
NINE MORE ALLEGE ABUSE
Nine more men are accusing a deceased Boston Red Sox staffer of having sexually abusing them decades ago as teenagers, an attorney said Monday.
The alleged victims say former clubhouse manager Donald Fitzpatrick, who died in 2005, molested them at Boston's Fenway Park, at his home and at other stadiums in the U.S.
Boston attorney Mitchell Garabedian now represents 11 people who have come forward, including two who served as batboys for the Baltimore Orioles and others who worked for the Red Sox.
MARLINS ACE SHARP
Josh Johnson, making his first start in nearly 10 months allowed two hits in 1 2/3 shutout innings while striking out three Monday for the Miami Marlins and got an apology from new third baseman Hanley Ramirez.
Johnson made just nine starts in 2011 because of shoulder pain. But the 28-year-old right-hander looked sharp against the St. Louis Cardinals, although he did give up a hard double down the third-base line to Tyler Greene.
Ramirez, who is shifting to third base from shortstop to make room for Jose Reyes, felt he should have caught the ball.
Johnson said Ramirez told him: " 'During the season I'll get that, I promise.' I said, 'I believe you.' "
Don Mincher, a former big leaguer who was the Southern League president until last October, died Sunday, BallparkDigest.com reported. He was 73. A two-time all-star at first base, Mincher won a World Series with the Oakland A's in 1972 ... Former Oakland pitcher Ariel Prieto has been brought to camp by the A's to help fellow Cuban Yoenis Cespedes adjust to the big leagues. Cespedes, a rookie outfielder, signed a four-year, $36-million contract with Oakland ... Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford was told Monday to sit out for five to seven days to rest his surgically repaired left wrist, the Boston Globe reported. Crawford has been experiencing pain and swelling in the wrist since last week ... Outfielder Andrew McCutchen has agreed to a six-year, $51.5-million contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates, sources told MLB.com ... Right-hander Michael Pineda pitched two shutout innings in his Grapefruit League debut for the New York Yankees.