February 26, 2012
Nats, Zimmerman agree to extension
By Sports Network
Viera, FL - The Washington Nationals and third baseman Ryan Zimmerman have reportedly agreed on a contract extension that will keep the 27-year old slugger in the nation's capital for the foreseeable future.
Multiple outlets have reported that deal will become official at a press conference at Space Coast Stadium on Sunday.
Zimmerman, who had two years and $26 million remaining on a five-year extension he signed in 2009, had wanted a deal in place by Saturday to avoid being a distraction to the team. He had also stated that he would test the free agent market had a deal not been reached by the start of next season.
"It's a relief," Zimmerman told the team's website. "It's a lot of stuff to work out. It's a big commitment. Things like that don't get done quickly. Both sides worked tirelessly to get this stuff done. Now, we don't have to worry about it anymore."
Both sides were believed to be close to the agreement on Friday with the only hold up being a no-trade clause for Zimmerman. On Saturday, however, Zimmerman said his agent had come up with a creative solution to bridge the gap between the two sides.
Zimmerman missed 60 games last year after he underwent abdominal surgery and batted .289 with 12 homers and 49 runs batted in. Over the course of his seven-career, though, the 2009 All-Star and Gold Glove winner is a .288 hitter with 128 home runs and 498 RBI in 845 games, all with Washington.
The Nats selected Zimmerman with the fourth overall pick of the 2005 draft and he made his major league debut later that season. He finished second to Florida's Hanley Ramirez in the 2006 Rookie of the Year balloting after a season in which he hit 20 homers, drove in 110 runs and batted .287.