K-Rod hit with criminal contempt charges

New York Mets pitcher Francisco Rodriguez is escorted by police for his arraignment on an assault...

New York Mets pitcher Francisco Rodriguez is escorted by police for his arraignment on an assault charge at Queens Criminal Court in New York August 12, 2010. (REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton)

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 6:59 PM ET

QUEENS Ny. -- New York Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez has been charged with seven counts of criminal contempt for his actions in the aftermath of an August incident in which he allegedly hit his girlfriend's father.

According to the New York Daily News, Judge Ira Margulis of Queens County Criminal Court ordered Rodriguez to be held on $7,500 bail as a result of the numerous text messages he sent to his girlfriend, Daian Pena, following the incident with her father.

The messages numbered 56 over a two-week span, and Pena was under a protective order during the time they were sent.

"An order of protection is a mandate of the Court that provides additional legal protection under the law for victims and witnesses. It is not simply a piece of a paper. When a defendant willfully violates a provision of a protective order, such as initiating communication with a protected party, he will be held accountable for his actions and charged with criminal contempt," said Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

These charges are on top of the third-degree assault and second-degree harassment charges Rodriguez already faces in the alleged incident.

"I know this message could get me in trouble again, but I already lost you, my house and my children," Rodriguez said in one of the text messages that were released by the Queens District Attorney's office earlier this month.

"Your parents are manipulating you like a marionette. You are already a woman who can make her own decisions," Rodriguez wrote in another message. "You are already a woman who can make her own decisions and because of that, our home in spite of its ups and downs we built it together no longer exist because of their greed. I pray to God that is not too late for you to open your eyes and reconsider."

Rodriguez was arrested following an August 11 loss to Colorado at Citi Field, as the Venezuelan hurler allegedly hit Carlos Pena and was then taken into custody by police. He was released a day later without bail and the Mets subsequently issued a two-game suspension.

Rodriguez injured his right thumb in the incident and needed surgery to repair a torn ligament. The Mets subsequently placed him on the disqualified list, though the MLB Players Association has challenged that decision.


Photos