The Atlanta Braves released struggling second baseman Dan Uggla, the team announced Friday.
The Braves will be responsible for the approximate $19 million that Uggla is owed through the end of 2015.
The Braves acquired Uggla in a November 2010 trade with the Miami Marlins and signed the three-time All-Star to a five-year, $62 million deal just before the 2011 season.
The 34-year-old Uggla has filled a limited reserve role this season since losing his starting job in early May. Last weekend, he arrived 30 minutes before the start of a game at Wrigley Field and was consequently suspended for Sunday's game.
"We've been very active making calls for the last month," general manager Frank Wren said. "We got to a point where we realized that this was probably our only avenue."
Uggla finished his Braves career with a .209 batting average, 79 home runs, 225 RBIs, a .317 on-base percentage, 243 walks and 535 strikeouts.
Uggla batted .162 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 48 games this season. He hit just .179 with 22 homers and 55 RBIs and a team-record 171 strikeouts in 2013.
His 33-game hitting streak compiled in 2011 is the best mark since the team moved to Atlanta in 1966 and is the second-longest streak in franchise history.
"He was professional, just like he always has been and always will be," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "Now he goes out and he can explore other opportunities. Somebody will give him a chance, and we wish him the best of luck."
The Braves recalled infielder Tyler Pastornicky from Triple-A Gwinnett to take the roster spot.
Pastornicky started the season with the Braves, but was sent down in late May after hitting just .200 in 35 at-bats. He was batting .281 in 36 games at Gwinnett.